Coming with Me is a willingness to see more.
I entered
this course believing strongly that people should be treated equally, that hard
work matters, and that as a leader my responsibility was to support the person
standing in front of me. Those beliefs are still coming with me, but they are
no longer enough on their own. What has changed is my awareness of everything
that may be operating around that person before I ever enter the conversation.
Intersectionality
challenged me to recognize that social identities do not operate independently,
and that privilege and disadvantage can exist simultaneously depending on
social location. The discussions of meritocracy pushed me even further. I still
believe effort, accountability, and mindset matter, but I now question who had
access to the relationships, resources, safety, recognition, and opportunities
that allowed that effort to become visible in the first place. That was an
uncomfortable shift for me because it required me to examine explanations for
my own success that I had carried for much of my adult life.
Coming
with Me is also the distinction between inclusion and belonging. Throughout the course, I
repeatedly returned to the realization that inviting someone into an existing
system does not necessarily make that system equitable. This became
increasingly clear through our discussions of gender, multiculturalism,
reconciliation, and globalization. Whether considering whose leadership is
viewed as legitimate, whose credentials are recognized, or whose knowledge is
valued, I have learned to look beyond whether someone has been given access and
ask what happens after they enter the room.
Perhaps
most importantly, Coming with Me is greater responsibility as a leader.
Awareness without action changes very little. I cannot assume that because a
policy appears neutral, an organization values diversity, or I personally
intend to treat people fairly that everyone experiences the same opportunities.
I can listen, ask better questions, examine whose voices are missing, challenge
assumptions I once accepted without noticing, and remain willing to change my
own thinking.
I am
leaving this course with fewer simple answers than I entered with, and I think
that may be the point. Coming with me is the willingness to remain curious
about what I cannot immediately see and the understanding that equitable
leadership begins with continually questioning the conditions that shape
another person's opportunity to belong, contribute, and succeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment